Oral Health and Pregnancy
Here are some key facts to help improve your dental health during pregnancy:
- Nutrition is very important during pregnancy because your baby gets nutrients from your system.
- Some women have dental problems during pregnancy. Hormonal changes can make your gums sore, swollen, and bleeding. Brushing and flossing your teeth daily can prevent this.
- Your oral health can affect your baby’s health.
- Dental problems can be caused by smoking. More importantly, smoking during pregnancy can harm your baby. Click here for details on the Tobacco Quit Line.
- It is important to see your dentist during your pregnancy to prevent dental problems.
- If you need to have emergency dental care during your pregnancy, you may need to have some x-rays taken of your teeth. Always be sure to remind your dental care staff of your pregnancy.