At our clinic, we believe that a bright, healthy smile is key to your overall health and well-being. That being said, one of the most common questions that we get from our patients is, “How is professional teeth cleaning different from home carer?”
For many people, home care means just a quick brush and floss. While this is a great start, it’s not enough to keep your teeth and gums healthy in the long run. That’s where professional teeth cleaning comes in. This comprehensive procedure goes beyond the surface to remove the built-up plaque and tartar that regular cleaning can’t reach.
In this blog, we’ll dive into the details of professional teeth cleaning and explain why it’s an essential part of maintaining good oral health. We’ll also compare it to home care and share the benefits of choosing professional teeth cleaning. Whether you’re new to dental care or just looking to learn more, we hope you’ll find this blog informative and engaging.
Why Professional Teeth Cleaning is More Than Just a Cleaning
You may be thinking, “I brush and floss regularly, so why do I need professional teeth cleaning?” It’s a fair question, and the answer lies in the importance of maintaining overall oral health.
Home care may leave your teeth feeling fresh and clean, but it’s just scratching the surface. Professional teeth cleaning, on the other hand, goes the extra mile to give you a thorough cleaning that reaches the parts of your mouth that regular cleaning can’t. This is why professional teeth cleaning is more than just a cleaning – it’s an investment in your oral health.
Think about it – your mouth is constantly exposed to food, drink, and bacteria. Over time, this can lead to the buildup of plaque, tartar, and other harmful substances that can cause gum disease, tooth decay, and other oral health issues. Home care can help prevent some of these problems, but it can’t reach the deep pockets and crevices that professional teeth cleaning can.
By choosing professional teeth cleaning, you’re taking proactive steps to maintain your oral health. Not only will you feel confident knowing that your teeth and gums are clean and healthy, but you’ll also be reducing your risk of developing oral health issues down the road. It’s a simple yet effective way to protect your smile.
What Happens During a Professional Cleaning?
So, you’ve decided to invest in your oral health and schedule a professional teeth cleaning. Great choice! But what exactly happens during the procedure? Let’s take a closer look.
The first step of professional teeth cleaning is a comprehensive evaluation of your oral health. Your dental professional will examine your mouth, including your teeth, gums, and tongue, to assess the state of your oral health and identify any areas that need special attention.
Next, your dental professional will use a scaler to remove plaque and tartar from the surfaces of your teeth and below the gumline. This is where home care falls short -professional teeth cleaning reaches the deep pockets and crevices that home care can’t.
After the scaling, your dental professional will use a specialized instrument, called a curette, to gently clean and smooth the roots of your teeth and remove any remaining plaque and tartar. This helps prevent future buildup and protects your gums from becoming inflamed or infected.
Finally, your dental professional will polish your teeth to remove any surface stains and leave your teeth feeling smooth and clean. You may also receive a fluoride treatment to strengthen your teeth and help prevent cavities.
In total, a professional teeth cleaning appointment takes about an hour and is performed in two sessions, each covering one half of your mouth. The process is relatively painless, and you may experience some sensitivity during the scaling and root planing, but this should subside within a few days.
The Benefits of a Professional Cleaning
A professional cleaning is more than just a cleaning – it’s an investment in your oral health that pays dividends for years to come. So, what exactly are the benefits of choosing a professional cleaning? Let’s take a closer look.
- Prevents Gum Disease – The primary benefit of a professional cleaning is the prevention of gum disease. Plaque and tartar buildup can cause inflammation and infection in your gums, leading to gum disease. Professional cleaning removes this buildup and helps prevent gum disease from developing or progressing.
- Brightens Your Smile – Over time, your teeth can become stained from food, drink, and tobacco use. Professional cleaning removes these stains and leaves your teeth looking brighter and whiter.
- Maintains Good Oral Health – By removing plaque and tartar, you’re reducing your risk of developing cavities and gum disease, which can lead to tooth loss and other oral health issues. Regular professional cleanings help maintain good oral health for life.
- Saves Money in the Long Run – Investing in a professional cleaning now can save you money in the long run. By preventing gum disease and other oral health issues, you may avoid more expensive and invasive treatments down the road.
- Improves Oral Hygiene – Regular professional cleanings help improve your oral hygiene by removing plaque and tartar that regular cleaning can’t reach. This leads to fresher breath and a cleaner, healthier mouth.
- Minimizes Pain and Discomfort – While professional cleaning may cause some pressure or discomfort, it’s usually minimal. Your dental professional will make sure you’re comfortable throughout the process and may use a local anesthetic to reduce any discomfort. And the best part? After the professional cleaning, you’ll have a clean, healthy smile that lasts for months.
A Healthy Smile, A Happy Life
At the end of the day, taking care of your oral health is a crucial aspect of overall health and wellness. And with professional teeth cleaning, you’ll be able to do just that – simply, effectively, and with peace of mind. So, what are you waiting for? Schedule your professional cleaning today and start enjoying the benefits of a healthy, happy smile!