Crowns are effective solutions for strengthening damaged teeth and enhancing the appearance of your smile. Although they can be crafted from a variety of materials, all-ceramic crowns come with some very appealing advantages, including:
- Great aesthetics: All-ceramic dental crowns offer impressive aesthetic benefits, thanks to modern fabrication techniques, which yield amazingly lifelike results. Because they can be made to match the color of original teeth, these types of crowns are ideal for front teeth, which stand out more than rear teeth.
- No dark lines: Unlike porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns (PFMs), all-ceramic crowns do not have dark margins at the gum line, which can become obvious when gums recede over time.
- Better light-handling: Natural teeth have a glossy, polished appearance, due to how light infiltrates and reflects away from enamel. Since they are relatively thick, all-ceramic crowns are able to mimic the light-handling characteristics of an actual tooth, creating a more natural appearance.
- Versatile: Ceramic crowns can mask tooth discoloration, cover dental implants and add width or length to misshapen teeth.
- Impressive biocompatibility: Since they are made from non-abrasive, biocompatible materials, all-ceramic crowns won’t cause allergic reactions or gum irritation.
- Durability: While not as durable as a metal crown, ceramic crowns are almost as strong as natural tooth enamel. This is especially true when they are used to restore front teeth.
- Enhanced comfort: Ceramic crowns fit better than some metal crowns and are not temperature sensitive.
- Uniform appearance: Since they are typically milled out of one homogeneous block, all-ceramic crowns offer a uniform shade and translucency.
- No adjustments needed: Modern technology allows dental professionals to match the crown to your other teeth and create a flawless fitting encasement for the damaged tooth.
The Bottom Line
Widely considered a marvel of modern cosmetic dentistry, all-ceramic crowns can be an ideal solution for replacing damaged teeth.