Adult braces are becoming increasingly common in today’s society. Not only do braces enhance your smile, but they also offer significant benefits for your long-term oral health. If you are considering braces or Invisalign, read on to learn more about the various dental braces options for adults. If you would like to see what Invisalign treatment could do for you, check out Invisalign’s Smileview Simulator on your smartphone.
Why Should Adults Get Braces?
These days, orthodontists offer braces for adults who want to improve their oral health and appearance by straightening their teeth. Teeth crowding and alignment problems make teeth more susceptible to dental decay due to plague and tartar buildup. They can also negatively impact a person’s appearance. There are several types of dental braces for adults, and each one comes with specific pros, cons, costs and limitations.
Different Kinds Of Braces For Adults
Because patients have varying needs, there are different dental braces options for adults. The vast majority of orthodontic patients wear fixed appliances to move their teeth into alignment. In this category, there are several types of braces for adults depending on their individual needs.
Orthodontic options for adults:
- Metal Braces: Metal braces are dependable, effective, and economical orthodontic options for adults. Typically made of high-grade stainless steel, standard metal braces remain the most common type of braces. Consisting of brackets and bands that are affixed to your teeth using dental cement, each bracket is strung together with wire to move your teeth into alignment.
- Ceramic Braces: Clear ceramic braces are a new variation of traditional metal braces. While they are the same size and shape as metal braces, ceramic braces blend into your teeth due to their tooth-colored or clear brackets. This system has become more popular for adults due to their aesthetic appeal.
- Lingual Braces: Lingual braces are placed on the inside of teeth, making them invisible from the outside. Although lingual braces can cause discomfort, they are the least visible type of fixed appliance. For adults concerned about their appearance, lingual braces are a potential option.
- Invisalign Treatment: Invisalign is a removable appliance that is typically worn 22 hours per day. Made with a series of 18 to 30 clear plastic aligners that are custom-fitted to your mouth, Invisalign trays are replaced every 2 weeks to bring your teeth and jaw into alignment. Many adult patients prefer Invisalign because the trays are nearly invisible and contain no wires and brackets, making the treatment more comfortable than traditional braces. On average, Invisalign treatment time is 12 to 18 months, though you can start seeing results in a matter of weeks. To see what Invisalign treatment could do for you, check out Gentle Dental’s Smileview Simulator on your smartphone.
So, what are the best braces to get for adults? It all depends on the severity of your misalignment. At Gentle Dental, our orthodontist takes into consideration the complexity of a patient’s case before presenting different braces options. Not every braces treatment will be suitable for all patients.
Adult Braces Preparation
Whatever adult braces option you choose, there are a few steps you’ll need to take before your orthodontic treatment can begin. Getting braces is the first step in achieving your dream smile. Before your braces are fitted, it is important to book an appointment with your general dentist to get a routine check-up and clean. After you book your first appointment with an orthodontist, you can expect to take orthodontic x-rays and undergo an initial examination.
These measures help your orthodontist determine the specific tooth movements required to straighten your teeth and align your jaw. Subsequently, your treatment plan will be created and your orthodontist will confirm a date to get your braces. The entire process of getting braces will usually take between 1 and 2 hours.
Caring for Adult Braces
After braces have been placed on your teeth, it is important to maintain good dental practices. The American Dental Association recommends brushing twice a day and flossing once a day. If you are wearing traditional braces, your orthodontist may also advise you to avoid eating certain foods, such as hard candy, chewy foods, and sugary drinks, which may cause damage to your braces and contribute to tooth decay. Maintaining regular checkups with your general dentist and orthodontist are essential in ensuring you are properly caring for your teeth and braces.
Adult Braces Time Commitment
Most adults will have to wear traditional braces for 18 months to 3 years. To get an accurate idea of how long you will have to wear braces, arrange an examination with your local orthodontist.
Braces Insurance Coverage
Many dental insurance plans cover both traditional braces and Invisalign treatment. Your dentist can help you determine if your insurance provider will cover all or some of the cost of your braces treatment. That said, even if your insurance won’t pay the full amount, there are several good reasons to seek orthodontic treatment.
Adult braces can
- Help you speak, breathe and chew properly
- Reduce needless, abnormal wear of teeth
- Make protruding teeth less vulnerable to injury
- Alleviate headaches and TMJ by balancing bite force
- Create space for implants for people with missing teeth
- Enhance your confidence and self-esteem.
If you’re worried about how you might look, there are several discreet types of dental braces for adults. Talk to your dentist about the different braces options available to you.
Final Word On Adult Braces Options
It’s never too late to achieve the smile of your dreams. To understand the various dental braces options for adults, talk with your dentist. He or she will determine whether or not braces or Invisalign are necessary or would be a good option based on your orthodontic condition. At Gentle Dental, orthodontists are part of our team and consultations are free for first-time patients. Our office staff would be happy to schedule a consultation for you at a convenient time, including evenings and weekends. In addition, our financial professionals will work with you and your insurance company to ensure maximum coverage of the cost of braces or Invisalign.
Get you closer to your perfect smile. Book your next appointment at a Gentle Dental location near you.